Thursday, April 9, 2020
Banner Top

Restrictions on travel and large public events in some parts of the world mean more and more music stars are cancelling gigs due to coronavirus.

As the number of worldwide cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus, continues to rise, it is likely there will be more to come as efforts are made to contain the spread.

The Who

Rock band The Who are the first musicians to cancel a major tour in the UK and Ireland, saying the decision was made with “much regret” but “fans’ safety is paramount”.

Due to start in Manchester on 16 March and finish at Wembley on 8 April, all 10 shows are now set to be rescheduled for later in the year.

They have also called off a planned show at the Royal Albert Hall in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust, which was set to take place on 28 March, but say they plan to reschedule this as well.

In a statement sent to Sky News, singer Roger Daltrey assured fans that the shows will “definitely happen and it may be the last time we do a tour of this type, so keep those tickets, as the shows will be fantastic”.

Pete Townshend said the band “haven’t reached this decision easily, but given the concerns about public gatherings, we couldn’t go ahead”.

Coachella

Image:Coachella will now take place in October

The Californian festival and its country music cousin Stagecoach were due to take place next month but have now been pushed back until October.

Coachella will now go ahead on the weekends of October 9, 10 and 11 and October 16, 17 and 18. Stagecoach will take place on October 23, 24 and 25.

Coachella organisers Goldenvoice said: “While this decision comes at a time of universal uncertainty, we take the safety and health of our guests, staff and community very seriously.

“We urge everyone to follow the guidelines and protocols put forth by public health officials.”

Miley Cyrus

The singer, 27, has cancelled a trip to Australia for the country’s bushfire relief concert three days ahead of the show, citing recommendations that travel be curtailed.

Cyrus was set to be the headline act for the gig in Melbourne on 13 March, which has now been called off.

Posting on Twitter, she said: “Due to the recommendations of local, state, federal and international government authorities, including the Center for Disease Control, to reduce potential health risks in response to the current global health crisis, we are no longer traveling to Aus for the show.

“I am so disappointed to not be there, but I have to do what is right to protect the health and safety of my band and crew. I will still be making a donation to help the victims of the Australian bush fire. I’m sorry to miss everyone in Australia, but I will be back soon.”

Cyrus later posted a hand-washing technique poster, saying: “Wash your damn hands.”

Madonna

Madonna announced she was cancelling gigs in France due to coronavirus on Monday.

Shows due to take place in Paris on Tuesday and Wednesday (10-11 March) have been called off, promoter Live Nation said, citing restrictions imposed over the outbreak.

It comes after France on Sunday banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people.

SXSW

Last week, major US festival SXSW was cancelled for the first time in 34 years.

Organisers said they were “devastated to share this news”, and added that they are now “working through the ramifications of this unprecedented situation”.

The statement added: “‘The show must go on’ is in our DNA, and this is the first time in 34 years that the March event will not take place.

“We are committed to do our part to help protect our staff, attendees, and fellow Austinites.

“We are exploring options to reschedule the event and are working to provide a virtual SXSW online experience as soon as possible for 2020 participants.”

Pearl Jam

The US rock band is postponing the North American leg of their Gigaton world tour “with deep frustration and regret”.

Seventeen performances in the US and Canada – from 18 March through to 19 April – were put on hold indefinitely.

In a statement, they said: “The levels of risk to our audience and their communities is simply too high for our comfort level.

“Add to that we also have a unique group of passionate fans who travel far and wide. We’ve always been humbled by this and respect their energies and devotion. However in this case, travel is something to avoid.”

The band said new dates would be figured out and current tickets would be used for those new dates.

Stormzy

The rapper is currently in the middle of his Heavy Is The Head tour, his biggest to date. In February, he announced that gigs in Asia scheduled for this month would not be going ahead.

Writing on Twitter, he said: “I was seriously looking forward to bringing the #HITH World tour to Asia and playing some epic sold out shows but due to the ongoing health and travel concerns surrounding the coronavirus, I’m regrettably having to reschedule this leg of the tour.”

“I promise I’ll be back,” he added.

The affected shows are in Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, China and South Korea.

A gig planned for 5 March in Zurich, Switzerland – where the government has put a ban on any events with more than 1,000 people in attendance – has also been called off.

Mariah Carey

The chart-topping singer has blamed “international travel restrictions” for pushing a concert in Hawaii due to take place on 10 March back to November.

Writing on Instagram, Carey, 49, said: “Aloha Hawaii!! I’m so so sad to have to announce that I’m postponing my show to November.

“I was so excited to come back to Hawaii on my ‘anniversary month’ but evolving international travel restrictions force us to consider everyone’s safety and well being.”

The star said she is “super excited” to appear in Honolulu for a Christmas-themed performance in November, adding: “I can’t wait to see you! Stay safe!!”

Avril Lavigne

The US singer announced on Friday that she had called off a show due to be held in Zurich on 13 March.

The following day, she announced the cancellation of several shows in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and the Philippines, which were scheduled for May, saying she was “completely bummed out” at having to make the decision.

“I am so sad to announce that we are unable to tour the Asian markets due to the continuous outbreak of the coronavirus,” she wrote on social media. “My band, crew and I have been working so hard to bring this tour worldwide and are completely bummed out.

“Please everybody take care of yourselves and stay healthy. You’re in my thoughts and prayers and we are hoping to announce rescheduled shows soon.”

BTS

In South Korea, which has the largest outbreak outside mainland China, K-Pop stars BTS have cancelled concerts due to take place in Seoul in April.

The seven-piece South Korean boyband are promoting their new album, Map Of The Soul: 7, but at a press conference last week, fans were urged to stay away.

Band member Jimin said: “Health is always on our minds these days, and our messages of facing your inner self and loving yourself are ultimately only possible when you’re healthy.

“Especially since it is very risky outside these days. I hope you take care of yourself.”

The band’s management, Big Hit Entertainment, put out a statement saying: “We have decided to fully co-operate with the government’s policy to refrain from holding events with a massive number of participants in order to prevent the spread of coronavirus.”

Green Day

The punk band called off March shows due to take place in Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines, Taipei, Hong Kong, South Korea and Japan, announcing the news at the end of February.

Posting on social media, they said: “We have unfortunately made the difficult decision to postpone our upcoming shows in Asia due to the health + travel concerns with coronavirus.

“We know it sucks, as we were looking forward to seeing you all, but hold on to your tickets we’ll be announcing the new dates very soon.”

Slipknot

The heavy-metal band have pushed back all their gigs in Asia which were due to take place at the end of March. That includes the Knotfest festival, which they set up in 2012.

Posting on Twitter on 5 March, the band said: “In light of global health concerns, Slipknot have decided to postpone their upcoming Asian tour, including Knotfest Japan. While decisions like this are not easy, the safety and wellbeing of the band’s fans always comes first.

“Furthermore in this case, the bands and artists, crew and local employees are also equally effected, and as such, this was the only responsible decision that could be made.

“Slipknot and Knotfest will both return to Asia very soon, and at such time that everyone can be ensured of the best experience possible.”

A separate statement about Knotfest, which was due to be held in Japan on 20 and 21 March, and is also due to take place in the UK later in the year, said the decision had been made “due to the current situation with the coronavirus mandates in Japan”.

Mabel

The Brit Award-winner cancelled a show planned for Milan, Italy, on 24 February. The country has seen a high number of cases of the disease.

“Due to recent events concerning the coronavirus in Italy, we’ve been advised by the minister of health and the president of the Lombardy region not to go ahead with [the] show in Milan,” she posted on social media.

“So sad to have to write this, but safety is the absolute priority here! Hoping to reschedule soon. Love M x.”

Foals

The band had been due to play three dates in Japan starting on 3 March. In a statement, they said they realised many fans would no longer be able to attend due to the outbreak, and wanted to make sure all their fans who bought tickets get to see them play live.

“Due to the uncertainty around the Covid 19 virus we have taken the difficult decision to postpone our Japanese tour dates to later this year. We hope to announce the new dates very soon,” the band said.

“We are so sorry that we won’t be there next week. We want everyone who has purchased a ticket to be able to attend & it has been clear through the messages we are receiving that many of you were not going to be able to be at the shows as scheduled.

“We will be back to honour these engagements, so will just be seeing you a little later than expected. In the meantime, please hang on to your tickets.

“Big big love, Foals.”

The National

The band were due to play two shows in Tokyo on 17 and 18 March but say they have had to cancel in the interest of public safety.

“Much to our disappointment, in the interest of public safety our March 17+18 dates in Tokyo have been cancelled,” they said in a statement. Refunds will be available at the point of purchase from March 3 to March 31, 2020.

“We look forward to returning in the future and performing for our friends in Japan.”

Sam Fender

The Brit nominee’s show in Zurich, set for 1 March, has been rescheduled for September due to the country’s national cancellation of 1,000+ events.

“The Swiss government have cancelled all events over 1,000 capacity due to the Corona Virus!,” the singer tweeted on Saturday.

“Tomorrow’s Zurich show will now take place in September, all tickets remain valid x.”

The Pixies

The band cancelled several concerts in Japan and China due to the outbreak and are due to resume their current tour in New Zealand on 6 March.

No details about rescheduling the shows have been released.

New Order

The band announced at the end of February that they were postponing gigs in Tokyo and Osaka, but have promised to “be back as soon as we can”.

“We always love our time in Japan, however we are going to put our upcoming shows in Tokyo and Osaka on hold for the time being,” a statement posted on Twitter said.

“With the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak, we are concerned about the potential quarantine we may face affecting further shows and appearances.

“We would also hate to risk our fan’s health or the of risk spreading the virus on our return. We promise we will be back as soon as we can.”

Snowbombing

The annual alpine music festival, which would have been in its 21st year, was due to take place in the west Austrian town of Mayrhofen fror a week starting April 13. But on Wednesday it released a statement saying it had to cancel the event “with a heavy heart”.

“Today, the Austrian authorities placed a ban on all outdoor events above 500 people and indoor events above 100. This ban is in place from now until April 3rd and is likely to be extended,” the statement read.

Recommended by

Here are music events and acts that have cancelled gigs so far.

Banner Content
Tags: ,

Related Article

0 Comments

Leave a Comment